In his "Specialist Town Takes His Case to Washington," Joshua Kors uses an informative tone to uncover the unjustice of soldier's disability. I actually found the language of Kors piece to be more riddled with jargon and statistics than some of the others so far. This is surely because his topic lended to the importance of such information, so it is not without cause. And I found that his explanations allowed me to feel like I gained knowledge after reading the piece, rather than being bogged down my facts I couldn't make sense of.
One part of the informative tone that really stuck with me was actually the title. My gut instinct was that the title sounded much like one of a news article that might appear in a newspaper. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the publication The Nation, but at least in comparison to other feature articles, "Specialist Town Takes His Case to Washington" is straightforward and hints at the government frame of the feature.
Something else special about Kors's piece for me was the effectiveness of his section breaks. Since they were quotes or phrases contained in the passage below, they were recognizable as I continued to read and I appreciate that relevance. As I've previously mentioned, many author's are so "inventive" with their section break titles that it's more work to figure out what they meant than to just continue reading.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice observation about the title--I thought the title was very clever.
ReplyDelete